Cooking this dishes, you need 30 minutes preparing time and at least 7 hours cooking time. This time actually to process and cook rendang beef, rendang spices and coconut milk into dry .But believe me, it is worth the efforts! From northern part of Indonesia (Padang), most Western people love this dish very much. They try so badly to find the exotic spices in their home country! Serve with rice and acar.
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-2-inch pieces (I use a chuck roast & cut it up)
- 8 red chilies, stemmed and coarsely chopped (you can take out the seeds to reduce the heat level)
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tough outer layers removed, tender insides finely sliced
- 1⁄3 cup tamarind paste (combined with 1/3 cup warm water)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (ground chiles, not the chili pepper spice blend)
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Put the beef in the slow cooker.
- In a blender or food processor combine the chilis, onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, tamarind paste, 1 cup warm water, and the spices.
- Puree until smooth, then pour over the beef.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook, covered, on the low setting for 5-6 hours.
- The beef will be tender and the sauce will be dark brown.
- Ladle most of the sauce into a small saucepan and cook over medium high heat to reduce until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the sauce back in the cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes to 1 hour longer.
- Stir in the sugar and season with salt to taste.
- Serve over steamed rice.